- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
The Hidden Gems Family Safari combines two of the best wildlife destinations in Zambia, The South Luangwa and the Lower Zambezi Valley.
It is a holiday designed to give families the opportunity to disconnect from the modern-day rat race and experience the African wilderness together, catering to the needs of various generations.
The Hidden Gems Family Safari is not a set program as each family is assessed on arrival, after which the managers/ guides will suggest a flexible itinerary. This is a memory-making, story-telling, life-changing journey!
Croc’s Nest (South Luangwa)
At Flatdogs, a selection of activities are planned with the whole family in mind. Parents can enjoy some peace and quiet whilst your Croc’s nest guide and host, Kennedy, entertains the children with a multitude of activities to suit all ages.
Activities are designed to be both educational and inspiring. Additional to daily game drives, children learn how to make small animal traps, how to recognise a range of different animal spoor; identify a variety of birds; shoot catapults and for the adventurous, there is a tree climbing activity.
Flatdogs support various community initiatives in the valley and guests have the option to experience and immerse themselves in the local cultural activities, a great activity for children is an outing to Tribal Textiles – please enquire further with your reservationist.
Baines’ River Camp (Lower Zambezi)
Baines’ offer a variety of activities, all of which can be adapted to suit the whole family. Game drives in the Zambezi National Park are interactive and educational as the guide keeps young, inquisitive minds busy by stopping to identify spoor, track game and explain about the delicate ecosystems that make up this fascinating wilderness area. Observe wildlife on the river banks from the boat or you may wish to try and catch a Tiger fish, Zambezi style, always an entertaining and fun experience for the whole family!
In between safari activities and meals, parents can enjoy some peace and quiet knowing their children are in safe hands and taking part in activities suited to their interests.
Some of these fun activities include ‘Dober-Dober’ fishing, baking with the chef in the kitchen, arts and crafts, bow and arrow making or an afternoon at the swimming pool. Activities are designed to be both educational and inspiring. A lovely end to the day is a family game of Boules’ on the river banks before watching the sunset, sharing stories of a day well spent on safari.
- The Croc's Nest is an exclusive tented house comprising two ensuite bedrooms, inside and outside living and dining spaces as well as its own private swimming pool.
- Each family has the use of a private vehicle and a dedicated private guide, allowing families to explore the Luangwa at their own leisure
- Choose to dine at the Croc’s nest or join the other guests in the main dining areas. The chefs at Flatdogs are able to cater for all palates.
- The Jackalberry suite is a family cottage comprising two ensuite bedrooms, indoor and outdoor dining areas and a spacious verandah overlooking the River.
- Most meals are eaten in the camp’s communal dining areas but braais, bush dinners and river lunches will be organised for families during their stay at Baines’.
- Each family has the use of a private vehicle and a dedicated private guide, allowing families to explore the Lower Zambezi Valley at their own leisure.
DAY 1 - 5
Croc’s Nest (South Luangwa)On arrival in Lusaka you will be ushered to your light aircraft to catch a flight to Mfuwe, the gateway to the South Luangwa National Park. The flight is approximately an hour and you will feel the excitement set in as before your eyes, the urban jungle of the capital city is transformed into a vast, African wilderness. Upon landing, you will be met by your safari guide and transferred by open game viewer to your private family accommodation, the Croc’s Nest at Flatdogs Camp – one of Zambia’s most iconic Safari Camps. The camp flanks the South Luangwa National Park. The Luangwa Valley is home to an astonishing diversity of wildlife and birdlife, including around 100 species of mammals, more than 400 bird species and over 2000 types of plants! Added to this, there’s an amazing density of game, particularly along the riverine strip.
DAY 5 - 9
Baines’ River Camp (Lower Zambezi)After four unforgettable nights in the Luangwa Valley it’s time to say goodbye to the team at Croc’s Nest. You will be transferred in a light aircraft to your next destination, the Lower Zambezi Valley. This is an incredibly scenic flight as your pilot takes you over the escarpment and winds down into this magnificent valley. Upon landing, you will be met by your safari guide and transferred by open game viewer to Baines’ River Camp. Set under the Tamarind and Jackalberry Trees on the banks of the Zambezi River, this camp offers a unique experience in one of Africa’s most scenic safari areas. The combination of a big river and game viewing experience offers a variety of activities suited to the whole family.
- All accommodation
- Charter flights (to & from Lusaka)
- All meals, drinks
- Activities, private vehicle & guide,
- National Park fees & levies.
- Premium drinks
- Fishing (angling permit USD25 pppd)
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel insurance
Pricing NameStartEndGroup (Min-Max)Pricing
No Details Found